We help educators flourish by turning research into practical solutions that transform teaching, learning, and leading.
McREL is a nonprofit, nonpartisan education research, development, and service organization that helps schools, districts, and education agencies improve outcomes for all students.
We help school and system clients in all kinds of communities analyze their performance, identify the root causes of challenges, build their staff capacities, and find the under-used bright spots they can scale up to make an even bigger difference for every student. Our areas of expert service include:
- Analysis and alignment of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and standards
- Professional development, learning, and coaching for teachers, principals, and system leaders
- Research, data analysis, logic models, and program evaluations
- School improvement strategies, action planning, implementation support, and technical assistance
We Work With All Communities
We work with a diverse mix of schools and districts (public, charter, and private), state and federal education departments, regional service agencies, foundations, ed-tech companies, and colleges and universities. We work with school systems large and small from rural, suburban, and urban communities across the U.S. and around the world.
Our recent clients have included:
- A large urban high school where teachers needed high-quality instructional strategies to meet the needs of a rapidly diversifying student body. Learn more.
- A rural elementary school with lots of English learners that landed in “turnaround” status—and actually turned around. Learn more.
- A mid-sized district that believed (correctly) that investing in school leadership training would pay off in student achievement. Learn more.
- A statewide online school that needed to unite its far-flung faculty through professional learning communities. Learn more.
- A rural educational service agency that craved a sustainable, affordable model for ongoing professional development. Learn more.
- An ed-tech company that needed to gather evidence of effectiveness for its product. Learn more.
In addition, we touch thousands of students’ and educators’ lives through our management of the U.S. Department of Education’s Regional Educational Laboratory for the Pacific Region and the Comprehensive Centers serving state departments of education and schools in Region 11 (Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming) and Region 12 (Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri).
The McREL Difference: Context, Curiosity, and Collaboration
What makes McREL different from other education research and improvement service providers? We believe in context, customization, and equity when working to improve school outcomes. We don’t deliver one-size-fits-all, off-the-shelf programs and products. Instead we study the research and evidence on what really works in schools and then, in a collaborative partnership with our clients, we craft contextualized services by matching specific best practices to the unique needs and goals of our clients’ teachers, students, leaders, and communities. In our PD learning sessions and coaching, we support educators as they hone their expertise and build bigger, better toolkits of practical, effective strategies they can use throughout the school year.
McREL’s Research Base, Models, and Frameworks
Our approaches and strategies, while customized for each client’s situation, are founded on McREL’s highly regarded research-based frameworks and models, including:
- Balanced Leadership®
- Classroom Instruction That Works®
- Curiosity Works®
- District Leadership That Works®
- Student Learning That Works™
- What Matters Most®
Get More Info About McREL
Learn about our research and evaluation services, our professional learning and coaching services, and our books and other publications in our Products & Services Catalog.