Do you need onsite professional learning or are you looking for a dynamic, engaging, and inspiring speaker for your workshop or conference? Download our press kit to learn more about whom to contact regarding our cadre of presenters, and contact us for more information.
Classroom Instruction That Works: 51 Activities & Tools for Increasing Student Achievement
June 15–16, 2020 | Denver, Colorado
Audience: Teachers, Instructional Coaches & Mentors, Principals & Assistant Principals, Central Office PD Leaders
Join Cheryl Abla—teacher, instructional trainer, coach, and co-author of the best-selling book Tools for Classroom Instruction That Works—for this two-day professional learning session to gain valuable insights, tools, and strategies for crafting dynamic learning activities supported by the best research on effective instruction, including:
- Nine categories of instructional strategies that research shows have the strongest connections to higher levels of student learning and success.
- 51 practical and engaging teaching activities you can use in your classroom that align with the nine instructional strategies.
- Specific strategies and tools that will help you create a classroom environment for learning that allows your students to flourish.
- Specific strategies and tools that can help your students develop deeper understanding of new content and concepts.
- Specific strategies and tools that can help your students extend and apply their new knowledge to other situations and challenges.
- Tech tools you can use in your classroom for engaging and meaningful learning.
All participants will receive a copy of Tools for Classroom Instruction That Works, co-published by Thoughtful Education Press and McREL.
Classroom Instruction That Works: Authorized Facilitator Training
June 15–18, 2020 | Denver, Colorado
Audience: PD Leaders, Instructional Coaches & Mentors, Principals & Assistant Principals, RESA trainers
Are you a professional developer or instructional coach who wants to deliver McREL’s Classroom Instruction That Works workshops yourself, to educator colleagues in your school, district, or regional service area?
Register now to attend this four-day training session with Cheryl Abla—teacher, instructional trainer, coach, and co-author of the best-selling book Tools for Classroom Instruction That Works, to deepen your understanding of the nine CITW categories of effective research-based instructional strategies and how to present effective CITW workshops on your own.
- Get a toolkit of CITW workshop materials and associated classroom activities.
- Learn how to help teachers apply the CITW instructional strategies to their lesson design and delivery.
- Get best practices for leading effective adult learning and professional development.
- Practice delivering lessons and participate in quality assurance steps to become an authorized CITW facilitator.
Upon successful completion of this training, McREL will authorize you to deliver multiple CITW professional development workshops to educators in your school district or education service agency area (BOCES, ESCs, ESUs, RESAs, etc.) for a period of one year. Annual re-authorization is available.
Conference Sessions & Keynotes
Pre-Conference Workshop & Conference Session | ASCD Empower20 Annual Conference
March 13–16 | Los Angeles, California
Attend ASCD’s conference for learning, teaching, and leading, and visit with McREL at these opportunities:
Student Learning That Works: A Brain-Based Model for Deeper Learning
Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Presented by Bryan Goodwin.
More info and registration (separate from regular conference registration).
Peer Coaching That Works: Tools for Success
Saturday, 8:45 a.m.
Presented by Dr. Kristin Rouleau.
Visit McREL in Booth #820
Get information on our latest resources, services, and publications to help educators flourish.
Social Media Events
Twitter Slow Chats
Looking to grow your professional learning network? Join us for our weeklong Twitter slow chats, where participants share best practices, strategies, and common (or uncommon) struggles and successes. Our WEEKLY chats begin Monday at 9:00 a.m. and continue through Sunday at 9:00 p.m.
Follow us on Twitter and use the hashtag #McRELchat to share your thoughts and ideas with other educators.
November 18–24 | What unique talent do you have? Do you incorporate it into your instruction?
November 25–December 1 | Happy Thanksgiving to our U.S. colleagues! We’ll take this week off from our weekly chats.
December 2–8 | How do you frame national events or tragedies within your local context with students?
December 9–15 | What kinds of fundraising and philanthropy happen in your school or district? Is it led by students, teachers, parents, or administrators?
December 16–22 | What favorite holiday tradition do you share with your students?
December 23–January 5 | Happy Holidays and Happy New Year from McREL! We’ll take the next two weeks off from our weekly chats.